Precooler- and Ash Catcher
Precoolers, filters, ash catchers and activated carbon adaptors for bongs
Who doesn’t know the feeling: The smoke of your bong tastes burned and leads to a sore throat, and neither fresh bong-water nor thorough cleaning lead to the desired smoking experience. This is however not the reason to quit smoking a water-pipe, but rather an indication for you needing a precooler. Thanks to their filtration effect, they protect the respiratory system from unnecessarily hot and polluted smoke. We offer a broad range of pre-coolers in all shapes and sizes. Our assortment includes simple precoolers, clever ash catchers and active carbon adapters as well as varied diffusors and ingenious percolator-filters with different ground joint sizes.more ...
Function and benefits of a bong precooler
Precoolers basically are add-ons for water pipes, which add another water chamber to the pipe and lead to a smooth and mellow smoke. The smoke can give off pollutants into the water inside the filter and is thereby cleaner and softer. Additionally, pre-coolers catch the ashes before they fall into the water of the bong, which keeps the bong significantly cleaner. Thanks to the slide-on system, the precooler can easily be taken off the pipe, which makes cleaning much simpler. Whoever is already satisfied with the function of their bong, but still has to struggle with greasy, polluted water, can use an ash-catcher instead of a pre-cooler. They don?t add any filtration to your system but collect the ashes and residues that build up while smoking.
Tip: Even ash-catchers like to be filled with a little bit of water. Makes them just easier to clean!
What to consider when buying a precooler
- The right size of ground joint: For example, only 18,8 mm pre-coolers match with glass-to-glass fittings in 18,8 mm.
- Proper downstem: To connect any accessories to a bong, a suitable downpipe with glass-to-glass fitting and a separate bowl is needed. The precooler fits onto the downpipe, the bowl, in turn, is placed onto the precooler.
- Appropriate size: To keep the stability of the bong, one should not choose a cooler that is too big. Filled with water, they can become pretty heavy and lead to the bong tipping over.
- Ashcatcher, filter or active carbon adapters: The kind of precooler determines its function.
User instructions for the different types of precoolers and filters
- Ash catcher: Is placed directly below the bowl and should be filled with a small amount of water. Can also be used in combination with other accessories.
- Precooler: Simple water chamber with removable chillum. Should be filled approx. 1/3 with water. Easy to clean, can also be used as an ash catcher.
- Percolator-precooler: Sophisticated diffusors with greater filter effect. Should be filled with water until the arms or air slits are under water. More complex cleaning.
- Catalyst: Swiveling precooler made of glass (Hurricane) or acrylic (Jetstream), that should be filled with a small amount of water. Bent connection with male ground joint required.
- Activated carbon adapter: glass chamber placed between the cap and the bong. Should be completely filled with loose activated carbon, which gets replaced regularly.
Tip: If the bong is not in use, remove the precooler to be on the safe side. This makes it more stable and less bulky, which prevents unnecessary shards.
Is it possible to fit several precoolers on top of each other?
Theoretically, any number of precoolers can be combined. In practice, however, you should bear in mind that every precooler, especially with percolator, increases the draught, i.e. you have to inhale stronger while smoking the bong. In addition, the weight of the bong extensions should not be disregarded, in order to avoid that the water pipe with attachments falls over and breaks. However, it can be useful to place an ash catcher in front of a diffusor-precooler or an activated carbon adapter. In this way, the filigree parts or the activated carbon remain free of coarse dirt, are easier to clean and filter better.